Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Psalm 3, proverbs 3 and March 3

I've been a Christian awhile but I will admit that I am far from being who God intends for me to be.
I have struggled in following his commands to pray, study, and serve.
So today I was working yet again on study. I'll take it one day at a time but for today it was good. Since today is March 3, I decided to read psalm 3 and proverbs 3. I've heard many times the tip to take one chapter of proverbs each day of any given month- whatever the date in the month, read that chapter. So that's what I decided to do today... And add psalm 3 to it.
So with proverbs 3 I began to notice a pattern... One or more commands are given and then the promises followed. So I used colored pencils to underline the commands (Crimson-red) and promises(purple). for example: do not forget/store my commands in your heart (command), and your life will be satisfying (promise).
It was neat to see this pattern. I had not noticed it before, though I knew the bible was full of both commands and promises and didn't really link the two until now.
Then in psalm 3, I took the psalm and rewrote it to be my own psalm- the cry of my own heart. sometimes we have enemies that are quite close to us, for some it's a neighbor, others a family member or spouse. Here is my prayer concerning someone in my life. Perhaps you too could rewrite this psalm too. Read the scripture and see if God places something on your heart. I read it from the new living translation. My own psalm is below.

Psalm 3 rewritten as a psalm of autumn sparrow:
O Lord, I have a close enemy,
One who is much against me.
He is saying,
"There is no hope for you."
But you O Lord, are my hope and my shield around me, you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
I cry out to you O Lord and you hear me from your holy mountain.
I go to sleep with a broken heart and injured spirit, yet I wake in the safety of your peace, for you are watching over me.
I am not afraid when my enemy offends me from every side.
Arise, O Lord!
Rescue me, my God!
Slap my enemy in the face with your truth.
Shatter his hardened heart that you may piece it back together in a new way.
Victory comes from you, O Lord.
May you bless your people.
And may my enemy, like Paul who was an oppressor, become one of your blessed people too.


No comments:

Post a Comment