Monday, March 2, 2015

Reading, writing and reality

March 2015:
I recently went to a parent forum for parents to find out about kindergarten- what the students may know before entering, and what they will learn during the year. Our kindergartener to be is pretty much set for the things she should be able to do (and they test them in May to see where they are academically). I have slowly been working with my two older girls in phonics (sing spell read write program) and math (math u see primer). We have discussed if we want to keep them home to homeschool or send them to public school. No verdict reached yet. Partly because I am unemployed and if I can find a decent paying job similar to my part time job I lost, we will likely send them to school to lower the cost of childcare. But if I am still unemployed this summer we then have to decide for ourselves rather than the situation deciding for us.
One of the things I was reminded of at the parent forum that I had swept under the rug, was the importance of reading to children daily. That very night when I returned from the meeting and the kids had just finished daddy time (watching videos of how things are made) I grabbed some books and read to them. Lately I've invited them to curl up in my bed to read. I love reading to them now. I love starting the sentence and pausing to give them a chance to finish it. Most of our books are just basic children's books. But we have some gems- books about the Bible and character building. The girls like Dave Ramsey's children's books- teaching integrity, giving, consequences of debt, etc. they also like The very hungry caterpillar and some dr Seuss books.
K2 loves doing schoolwork but K1 is not thrilled about it. She doesn't want to practice writing whatever letter she is practicing that day, yet I notice that when I ask if she wants to make a card or note for someone we are praying for she enjoys writing it. It is amazing how, even with a a masters degree in education with a concentration in differentiated instruction, I am having a hard time letting go of the structure of the SSRW book in order to let her practice in her own joyous way! It's almost as if I am afraid of her "missing something" by not sticking to the pattern of the book. Yet, the repetition in the book has me a bit bored too. God is teaching me to let go. Children need some space for expression.
June 2015: 
I get so wrapped up sometimes I don't make time to read. One f my weaknesses is that I find something I love and start with it but fail to be consistent in doing it. It is not much different when it comes to doing things with the kids.  I am inconsistent with our schooling, inconsistent in my quiet time with God, inconsistent in cleaning. It's awful! I get all hyped up about something and it fades out of my life. This is something I really need to work on and pray that God works on in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment