Thursday, June 25, 2015

Don't stop driving (living) just because of some potholes

I don't know about you, but sometimes we hit bumps in the road and feel coming to a complete stop and giving up and feeling discouraged. 

Today our bumps were manageable but I learned that they can't keep us from living. 

Both of my preschoolers had negative attitudes during parts of our school worksheets today. After trying to be encouraging and even firm, I decided we would just finish what they are willing to do and move the other pages to tomorrow. 

Since they did do a some work I said the three of us would each get a jelly bean to suck on while reading after lunch. So after lunch, we all picked a book or two, I set the microwave timer and we sat quietly to read. This was such a pleasant time. 

I was so pleased that I said we would go to the library to pick out a couple books and get them each a library card. 
And even this time went well, despite it taking a few extra minutes to get cards and check out. 
We had gone while my husband was out of the country. We wanted to pick out some books about where he was. I think we read one of three books that time. This time we just picked books they wanted and were geared for smaller children. 

Whenever we go out - the three kids and pregnant mama- I try to make it a short trip and let them know it will be a short trip. Overall my kids are well behaved but they have their moments. Letting them know that we will not be gone for long gives them an idea of the timeframe. So if they aren't happy with where we are going they know they don't have to be there long, and if they do like it, they have been told ahead of time that we will not be there long... So they are less likely to have a fit or bad attitude when I say it's time to leave. 

So my lesson I learned today: when you hit bumps in the road, you don't have to stop, you can push through or change course. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your path straight. -Proverbs 3:5-6

Oddly enough, the day after I wrote this post I was involved in a car accident with all three kids in the car. We are all fine and I only went to the ER to get checked out since I am pregnant. 
Not quite the bump in the road I would expect on any given day! God protected us. And the accident could have been far worse
Photo taken from my driver side door. No fatalities. Everyone conscious and as far as I am aware no major injuries. One other person was taken to the hospital. She was able to speak to my adjustor the next day... Which was encouraging to hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment