Saturday, June 6, 2015

Organizing and Cleaning Journey of a Type B personality... Living with a Type A

Spend a day in our home overseeing our daily interactions and it will not take long to see that my husband shows many Type A Pattern behaviors while I show many Type B. I am more relaxed, patient, and it takes more physical stressors to get under my skin compared to my husband. I also am expressive of my feelings whereas he is more likely to express emotion when it's negative and he wants something done about it. He is more organized and more of a minimalist while I'm more crafty and a packrat. 

So... When it comes to the home he is often stressed. I desire to have a happy husband and a happy home so I am trying to create a place where he can unwind instead of the home adding more stress. This is not an easy task for a Type B personality... In my experience... I've been at it for nearly 8 years now. 
Sure, I can do a superficial clean when company is coming over, cleaning the necessary areas but I'm so inconsistent on a regular basis. 
So I'm working on it... Again... And Still.
 
A month or so ago I saw a temporary free video e-course which contained two videos from which I gleaned a lot of help. One was about laundry and the other about dishes. I started with these and have added some things along the way. I am also reading the ebook Chaos to clutter free. 

(My tip, if you want to try these steps with me, is to focus on adding one step each week or maybe two weeks. It does not need to be in the same order as I am doing. Get the routine started before adding another step! Don't add if you don't feel ready or you feel you haven't had the time to complete the current steps. Refocus and press on with current steps... Add another once you feel you can handle it)

STEP 1: TAMING THE TOWERING DISHES!
I'll start with explaining my dishes routine since I'm consistent with that. Dishes used to pile up and I hated doing dishes once they were overflowing. So, now throughout the day I will load whatever dirty dishes I have into the dishwasher. Sometimes this happens after every meal or snack but usually it's about 2-3times a day, finishing with my goal of having no dishes in the sink for bed. This has greatly helped since I wake up and no longer feel disappointment, or a sense of being overwhelmed upon entering the kitchen to prepare breakfast for the kids. It also doesn't feel overwhelming since it only takes a few minutes each time since the dishes aren't towering... Usually. Unless the dishwasher is less than half full ,I will start it at night so I can either have it opened at night to dry or open in the morning to dry. Putting them away before lunch is important since by then I already have dishes to go back in. So the sooner they can be put away, the less stress later on. 
Photo: this is a partial day of dishes. I went to visit someone at the hospital last night and by the time I got home at midnight, my cutoff time for cleaning, I told myself it'll have to wait. This is not the norm anymore, so it did not discourage or stress me to have to do them today. (Added June 27)

STEP 1.2: KIDS HELP WITH DISHES
As part of the dishes duty, I have cracked down on the kids leaving dirty dishes on the table when they finish a meal. They often have to stop playing or doing an activity to come get the dishes they've forgotten and bring them to the counter. The kids are 5 and 3 and are certainly capable of handling this task. They also help me when I unload the dishwasher. They are responsible for anything in the lower cabinets and drawers, and now they have started stacking the things for the upper cabinets on a clean counter so I can put them away quickly.
Yes, I can do it more efficiently alone, but they will never learn if they don't get the chance. They can also be doing this while I am cooking a meal so that I am still getting something else done and available to help and supervise. Most of the time they are happy to help... But not always!

STEP 2: TACKLING THE TOWER OF LAUNDRY
Now for the laundry. I tried the routine from the video ecourse, which says to complete the laundry cycle from start to finish before giving yourself permission to start a new laundry cycle. So... Do not start the washer again until the previous load has been washed, dried, folded and put in its proper place. Start by focusing on completing one load a day. This has been hard to stick to because of some crazy things in my schedule lately which have landed me with many loads to do on one day. So occasionally I've had a massive laundry day. The massive laundry day(s) is similar to the ideas in the book Chaos to Clutter free. In the book you basically tackle the laundry pile by washing it all and sorting into baskets (one for each family member's clothing) and only folding it (one basket at a time) once it's all done. 

STEP 2.2: FAMILY HELPS 
I noticed that my husband would wear a pair of shorts for maybe three hours at the end of he day and I'd pick them up off the floor to wash. So I've asked him to move things to the bathroom when they need to be washed so I'm not washing things that aren't really dirty and will be worn the next afternoon after work again.

STEP 2.3: CLOTHING ORGANIZATION 
Something that has helped us with the laundry cycle- the putting away part- has been the installation of a second -lower- bar in the kids closet. Now all outfits are matched and the kids can hang them up in the closet and get them out easily to get dressed. Previously, they would rummage through drawers which made  all the folding I had done absolutely pointless. I feel so much more organized by having most of their clothes hung up. Also organized hubby's shirt drawer so he wouldn't dig around for tshirts. Here is my video about this step. http://youtu.be/vIfb7VWatxo



STEP 3: DITCHING THE DINING ROOM DISASTER 
We may not be a family that stores all our mail, books, magazines on the table (though our counters end up as catch all many times), but our table often has coloring books, crayons, dishes, baby bottles, or miscellaneous items on it after the kids are in bed. My newest task has been to clear the table completely before going to bed. This gives me a clean slate for breakfast. Having dishes done and a clean table to sit at makes it so refreshing in the morning. 

7/1/15
Ok I'm ready for a new step!
STEP 4: CRUMB CLEANUP
I'm ready to add something. Now I will be picking up and vacuuming the dining room and kitchen before bed at night. No one likes stepping on cereal, eggs, noodles or whatever other item may have fallen down on the floor from the table or counter. 
Last night I was on a roll and even vacuumed the living room and hallway! I am not adding these areas to my expectations list at this point because they do require that the toys be picked up in order to vacuum the carpet. So I will add those areas after I've added picking up toys as part of my routine. 
Remember: one step at a time. Make it happen for a couple weeks then add more. 

This is where I am in my quest for cleanliness. I will add new steps as the weeks go on. Stay tuned. I may even make a few videos for youtube.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. -Galatians 6:9

Comment below with any questions! I'd love to hear them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment