Saturday, December 6, 2014

Thirsty Sponges

"Thy word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against thee." Psalm 119:11

Recently, I finally took hold of the Holy Spirit's prompting. Instead of expecting others to provide the Biblical teaching to my children, I needed to step up. And I finally have started.

I was sitting back, letting the church do all the work. Sure, the church can teach them in Sunday School and in Awana Clubs. I trust my church community with that. But, let's do the math... let's say that in a good year, we make it to 45 (out of 52) Sunday School opportunities and 20 Awana club nights. Those who know us, know that we would call that a GOOD year. That's 65 opportunities for them to hear and learn about God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). 65... out of 365! Ummmm HELLO! That's a lot of days hearing no direct teaching of godly things.

Yeah.. so now that I feel like a bad Christian mama, I take it to God. I have sinned. Let's call it like it is. God's word says in Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. " So, not teaching them to my children means I am not obeying God.... aka a SIN. Acknowledge. Confess. Repent.

So now, we have Bible time, along with our phonics and math lessons. And we are talking about God, not just during Bible time, but anytime we want. I ask about what they are learning at church. They ask me questions and are learning that adults don't have all the answers either. Our oldest is teaching me that no time is to early or to late to talk about God, heaven and hell. She is showing me that I can learn a lot from her questions, thoughts and fears. She is proving that at age 4 she is not just thankful for her food, but also thankful that God sent Jesus so that she doesn't have to go to hell. What joy on this mama's heart to hear her little cute voice thanking Jesus for that!

My 3 year old and 4 year old are showing me, they are thirsty sponges- ready to soak it all up. They want to learn - most of the time anyway.When I recently started memorizing verses with the kids, I was amazed. In about 5 days, the three of us had memorized 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8a (The "love" verses often quoted at weddings, including ours). Now we have moved to Luke chapter 2. A bit more difficult to remember it seems, but we are making (slow) progress. We know the first 3 verses. We may not make it to verse 20 before Christmas (as we'd like), but we shall give it a try!

As a teacher, I have known, that you learn it best when you have to teach it! So it is a blessing to all three of us to be memorizing these verses. Added bonus is that we get to do it TOGETHER. School time and family time mingled together. Precious moments, making disciples.

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

So...Where is God calling you to take a step for Him to make disciples? (Feel free to share in the comments so that I may pray for you.) He will give you all that you need to be more than just adequate.

"God, You are awesome in power and might. You reign over all the earth. You sent your Son to die that I might live. And in return, you ask that I make disciples. You have blessed my womb, and I have praised you for my children. And with that same mouth from which praises come, I keep silent. I watch. I pass the buck. But I am done doing that. I am changing my ways, to align them with your ways. I want to learn about you, and teach about you. I want to dig deep in your word and encourage my children to do the same. I want to write your word on my heart, so that I might not sin against you, and I want to help them write it on theirs. Forgive me Lord, for delayed and inconsistent obedience. I am inadequate. Forgive me for living in the feeling of inadequacy rather than living the truth that with you all things are possible. Help me step out in faith. Help me walk through your word, and memorize it, with my children, so that we may know your truth each and every day, whether rejoicing in life or struggling to keep our sanity. In all things, may we come to your truth and bask in your love and mercy. Teach me, to teach them. And Lord, forgive me when I fall. Help me back up. Thank you for all that you are, and all I can be through you. You ARE my Lord and King. And no matter how many times I fall, I must get up and continue this road with you. I cannot wait to be in your heavenly presence, but until then, teach me to do your will here on earth. Thank you for loving me through it all. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment